The FREE WordPress Version & its Disadvantages
WORDPRESS.COM – THE FREE VERSION
What this means is that your website will have a different URL (or web address). It will look something like: http://nameofblog.wordpress.com
ADVANTAGES on Free Version:
- This is totally free to use and your site will be hosted by WORDPRESS on their platform.
- The best use of WordPress.com would be to learn the basics of using this type of platform. Think of it as your practice site.
DISADVANTAGES of FREE VERSION:
Due to these sites being free there are certain restrictions in place. Free means many limitations. The biggest issue with these sites is that you are limited with what you can do with them. For example:
- Free sites will limit your design and function abilities, and there may be ads placed on your website
- You may not be able to post your own advertisements or affiliates offers on them.
- You may be restricted when it comes to theme choices, the number of plug-ins you can use and more.
- Plus of course they do not look as professional as you like. Your website name will include their name as well. For example if you created a Weebly site your domain name would have weebly.com in it as well as the name you choose.
- The biggest downside is that you have no control over your website. It is feasible that you may wake up one morning and your site has disappeared for no reason. All your hard work has been lost.
- Most importantly, these free websites will not generally get the respect of the search engines. Your free website will not get much traffic from the search engines. So, get yourself a web host.